What was supposed to be a fun day celebrating a baby’s first birthday quickly turned into a nightmare for a Texas couple when they discovered him floating in the pool.
While parents Nickie and Jarred Harris were distracted, their one-year-old son, Whitaker, followed the family’s dog out to the backyard after it pushed the back door open. Moments later, Nickie and the boy’s grandfather discovered Whitaker unconscious in the pool.
While waiting for paramedics to arrive, they performed CPR but the prognosis didn’t look good. Doctors at Cook Children’s Medical Center told Whitaker’s parents that they would do everything they could but the chances of survival were slim. “Doctors were honest but still amazing and helpful and went above and beyond,” Nickie said.
Two days later, however, doctors were stunned when they saw Whitaker sitting up in bed. “When you see things he does afterward… very humbling to how God really is and how thankful you can be,” said Jarred. Now the family is sharing their story to warn other parents about being careful with children around water. “Not to be naive because it can happen to anybody,” Nickie said. “And it did in just a matter of seconds.”
“This is a preventable accident that doesn’t have to happen,” said Wini King from the hospital. “All you have to do is pay close attention when your children are near the water.”
Watch the entire video below to see why doctors are calling this baby’s recovery a miracle.
Can you believe this baby made a full recovery? Let us know what you think in the comments below and please SHARE this with friends on Facebook.
[Featured image: Fox4]